Friday, July 15, 2011

makeover

This is what I have been working on the past few days.


Now hubby was not to pleased that I wanted to "ruin" a perfectly lovely piece of furniture. After much pleading and begging he helped me a bit, okay a lot.  Even though he was prepping for his "test," you know the one that happens when you turn 50!? Yeah, that one.  Poor guy!  I can hardly wait for mine.  Hubby got her years ago from a customer who no longer wanted her, so he took her and she sat and sat in a room.  I knew I wanted to do something with her but never really had the time or the know how.  Since I have been blog hopping I have learned a few tricks thanks to some amazing blogs, like the ones listed below.

sanded just to take the sticky old varnish off

she even has dove tail drawers!
materials I used
I first sanded her down a bit to take off that top layer of varnish, you know the sticky stuff! I did sand the entire top piece cause I knew I wanted to restain that.  Her body got a nice coat of primer, a tad bit more sanding, and a coat of Creamy by Sherwin Williams the Duration kind.
I let that dry good then proceeded to sand only in areas that would of probably gotten worn through the ages.  She then got a bit of toner that I had left over from a previous project.  This was to antique her a bit. It is from a company called Caromal Colours.  Last step on her body was a good waxing.  I used Johnson's paste wax.  For her top she got stained with Minwax and a top coat of poly. We do have the original key hole plates for her but only two.  We are in the process of looking now to obtain two more.  Wait til hubby hears that she needs new hardware! new knobs! I think if she had glass knobs she would be a total knock out.




That's it!
I love her!!
I'm calling her Stella for Stella Got Her Groove Back!


linking up to

Furniture Feature Fridays



4 comments:

  1. What a pretty piece. I have always loved dressers that have a curvy front like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keyhole plates in various sizes and finishes can be found at Lee Valley. www.leevalley.com

    Search under Escutcheons

    I hope you find one that works with your dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this piece...can you do this to my desk?????

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. Have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...