Monday, August 13, 2012

A Makeover on an Old Beauty



Hubby found this cabinet that someone had thrown out!
He promptly grabbed it, and then gave it to a customer that
he was working for!  He thought that I would not want it.
He's right, I probably wouldn't have wanted it at the time.
They had it for approximately two months
and decided to give it back. They just didn't have the time
to work on it.  When he brought it home, I knew
it had great potential but would require lots
of work.  Since it was HOT here in Florida, we worked out
in the HOT, HUMID HEAT! 
The veneer was lifting off of it.  I knew
that I would either have to glue it down or just peel it off.
I tried lifting off a piece and surprisingly enough it peeled
right off.  After that was done, I gave it a coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
in Old White and the trim in Graphite. Next it was lightly
sanded in some areas and heavily in others. I wanted
it to have that worn look.
Next I applied clear wax and then dark wax - both by Annie Sloan
For the top section and inside the drawers, I used tissue paper that
Robyn Story gave me and Mod Podge.
On the top piece, I added crackle to give it
a crackled look, also by Annie Sloan and applied more clear and dark wax.
This was so the crackle would show up.
I used the same hardware that it came with, but had
my son spray paint them with Rust-Oleum  in dark bronze.
This is a Drexel cabinet from the New Travis Court Collection and
even has dove-tailed drawers!  People just do not know
what they are throwing away.
I think it could be used just about anywhere - in a foyer,
maybe a hallway, or even a landing.
Maybe even in a boy's room!
I love it!
What do you think?



 I think I will call it Charles in honor
of the Olympics being held in London,
after Prince Charles. It reminds me
of royalty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog. Have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...